Thursday, July 24, 2008

Baby Girl Tyler






Early Saturday morning, July 19, 2008, Kami Marie Tyler was walking the halls of her home trying to alleviate the pains of yet another gall bladder attack. This was unusual as it had lasted three times as long as any other previous attack. Not knowing what to do, we rushed her to the hospital at 3:00 am to see if there was anything they could do. They took some blood and checked things out. Fortunately, the baby was doing great. But Kami, although her attack had finally ended, was suffering from elevated liver enzyme levels. The doctor wanted to keep her around for observation until he could get there in the morning. When he showed up around 8:30, we expected him to send her home, but instead, he told her that we needed to get the baby out, TODAY!

The C-section began around 1:00 pm that day and at 1:24 pm, weighing in at 6 pounds, 1 ounce, measuring 18 inches long, our baby girl, Amelia Marie Tyler, was born. She was rushed into the nursery like all C-section babies for a quick assessment. They cleaned her up and checked her out. She was having some difficulty getting enough oxygen so she was held over in the nursery until she could keep her levels up. Kami was amazing. She did such a great job. She spent the next four days in the hospital, getting pampered and taken care of by the same people that she works with every week. We brought her home on Tuesday night. It was a very emotional time for her since our baby girl was still held over in the nursery because she still wasn't getting the oxygen that she needed. Kami remarked that this was the farthest that the two of them had ever been apart when we left the hospital.

Each day has seen a lot of progress and improvement with Amelia. Her lungs have gotten stronger and stronger and she is now down below 50% oxygen and she is holding strong. Her central line (IV) was taken out yesterday which allowed her to be put on her stomach to rest. Since then she has been doing great. Momma's milk is still getting poured in through a line in her nose, but hopefully soon she'll figure out that the food is supposed to go in her mouth.

Today our baby girl is doing great. The doctors and nurses have taken great care of her and we hope to be able to bring her home sometime in the next two weeks. Although her daddy appreciates having a full time babysitter, he's a little worried about how much he's gonna have to pay this sitter when they finally let her go. Thank goodness for good benefits.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! She is so beautiful! I'll be praying that she continues to get better and that you guys get to take her home soon. Congratulations!

Katie said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Amelia is such a beautiful baby!! Kami- I hope your recovery goes well!!

R. rice said...

Congratulations!!! She is absolutely gorgeous! And what a rough start... I pray for you guys that she will get well soon so you guys can enjoy your beautiful new baby!

Jennifer Ames said...

Congrats! We will keep you three in our thoughts and prayers! She's beautiful!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Congratulations, Kami! I'm happy the recovery is coming along well. I wonder why the doctor suggested a C-Section if the baby was doing fine... Does it have to do with Toxemia?
Oh well, at least both mom and baby are okay. I hope she gets to come home soon!

Anonymous said...

Oh Kami! How scary! I'm glad your baby is doing well and I hope you are feeling ok too. She is absolutely beautiful! I found your blog off of facebook :) It's so good to see what you are up to. Come visit our blog too. It's jordonandanniemerrill.blogspot.com. I hope all is well for you and your new little family. Congratulations!
Annie (Connors) Merrill

Sammis said...

Congratulations! She is the sweetest thing in the whole world. We'll keep you in our prayers and hope that Amelia comes home as soon as she can. Much love, the sammis family

Kristin said...

What a little sweetie! She is so cute. I am so excited for you guys.

Rachel Murray said...

Congratulations on a BEAUTIFUL little girl!! I hope everything is better with your gallbladder and recovering from your c-section and the Amelia can join you at home very soon!! I hope to see lots of pictures once she gets home.