Monday, January 26, 2009

Adventures in Teething

The other night, Jono, Amelia, and I were watching a movie. Amelia, usually busy, squirmy, and loud, was pretty much crawling on the ceiling. We could not figure out why she was so incredibly wiggly! And then we looked at the clock! It was almost midnight, hours past her usual bedtime. We were pretty sure she had somehow ingested some kind of hyper-stimulant!!! After multiple attempts to put her to sleep in her crib, which she usually does pretty well, we were at a loss for what to do. She would flop and flail around in her crib, refusing to calm and sleep. So, I decided to give her some tylenol, just in case she wasn't feeling well. She fought the syringe and managed to spit half the dose out. So, I caught what I could with my finger and put it back in her mouth. And much to my surprise, I found a tooth trying to make its way through Amelia's gum. Fabulous! Actually, I was kind of excited. However, the excitement soon gave way to sleep deprivation. Amelia refused to be put in her crib all night, so I held her until about 5:30AM. (And, might I mention I had worked the two nights previous and was scheduled to work the following night!)

She woke the next morning irritable and uncomfortable. We could not get her to calm down and she was obviously tired. Jono gave her a blessing and within 30 minutes she fell asleep in my arms (she still wouldn't let me put her down). We made a run to store and picked up an assortment of items to soothe "teething" pain. We also decided to up the strength of medication and give her ibuprofen. Thank goodness she is six months now! She was 50% back to normal, running a low-grade fever and being restless. However, she slept through the next night and in her bed!

We think we made it through the worst of this tooth, but we've got many more to go! Poor baby! So, for those of you with kids, what have you found makes teething bearable for babies and their parents?

2 comments:

Jill Manis said...

Hey, just noticed your blog! Gotta love teething... :) Noah started early at 4 months and got about 2 a month until he reached 8 and has since taken a break so yea for the last few months! Anyway, Noah loved celery and carrots. They are cold and hard so feel good to bite into, it also helps break the skin so the teeth break through making the process go a little faster. Good luck and good move going to the IBprofin, it helps more with the swelling so relieves pain better, but wait a sec, you're a nurse, I don't need to give you that kind of instruction :)

Kirstin Nilsson said...

Our kids loved to chew on a wet/frozen corner of a washcloth. Just put water on one corner and freeze it, then they can hold the dry side and suck/chew on the cold side. Also, diarrhea is common with teething d/t increase of acid in the saliva to help break down the gums so acidopholous and balmex are a must!